Mixed Martial Arts hopeful Arnold Allen could lose licence after drunken brawl at Christmas party

One of the world’s leading Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) prospects has been spared jail after he ‘ran amok’ at a Christmas party, assaulting the venue’s owner and six women.

 

The incident happened when a number of parties – including one for Specsavers’ staff and another with people dressed as Oompa Loompas – took place at All Manor of Events in Henley, near Ipswich, on the night of December 23 and 24.

The burgeoning career of professional fighter Arnold Allen, of Old Kirton Road, Trimley St Martin, now hangs in the balance after he pleaded guilty to affray, Ipswich Crown Court heard.

Allen is facing the possibility of having his licence taken away by his sport’s governing body.

He may also have a problem travelling to fight in the US due to his conviction, which could also cause issues with his training camps in Canada where he spends a number of months each year.

Arnold Allen in the ring. Picture: DOLLY CLEW/CAGE WARRIORS
Arnold Allen in the ring. Picture: DOLLY CLEW/CAGE WARRIORS

Sentencing the 23-year-old, Recorder Richard Christie QC acknowledged Allen, who was drunk, had originally stepped in to protect his girlfriend after she had been in an altercation with another woman.

However, the judge said: “After that you went wild.”

Allen was said by one witness to have been ‘windmilling’ his left arm about while having his right arm around his girlfriend.

While imposing a five-month prison term, suspended for 12 months, on Allen Recorder Christie told him: “You essentially ran amok.

Arnold Allen celebrating a win in Berlin in 2015. Picture: JOSH HEDGES/ZUFFA LLC/GETTY IMAGES                                                     Arnold Allen celebrating a win in Berlin in 2015.
“Part of your training is self-control and knowing when not to exert more force than is necessary, and that’s plainly something you have done on this occasion.

“Your whole career has been [put] on a knife-edge as a result of this.”

Previously prosecutor Michael Crimp said a series of parties were taking place at the venue, including an Oompa Lumpa party with some people dressed in character.

At around midnight a fight broke out. The origin of it was not clear.

Allen’s girlfriend had become involved. People intervened and Allen’s partner was taken to one side by a wall.

Mr Crimp said Allen later told police he believed his girlfriend was being manhandled and he went across due to his concern for her.

Andrew Hayward-Farmer, the owner of All Manor of Events, had been attempting to break up the original melee.

The court was told he already had occasion to speak to Allen earlier in the evening because of his poor behaviour.

After Mr Hayward-Farmer took Allen’s girlfriend to one side, the MMA fighter came up and punched him to the left-hand side of his face, causing him to fall to the floor.

Mr Hayward-Farmer got up and went towards a gate intending to close it, but Allen chased after him kicking his legs from under him.

Mr Hayward-Farmer landed on his back. Allen bent over him and delivered at least two punches to the owner.

As others came over to intervene Allen assaulted six women by punching and lashing out as he flailed away, the court heard.

Part of Mr Hayward-Farmer’s victim personal statement was read out in court.

In it he stated the incident had ruined Christmas for him as it happened on Christmas Eve.

It had also made Mr Hayward-Farmer uneasy about leaving his home, as well as having an impact on his wife – who was also present at the time.

Richard Conley, representing Allen, handed three references to the judge on his client’s behalf – including a ‘glowing’ one from a female Metropolitan Police inspector who trains with Allen.

Mr Conley said Allen was not used to alcohol as he abstains as part of his training regime.

Referring to his client’s consumption of alcohol that evening, the barrister told the court: “It had a marked affect on his behaviour, but more importantly a marked affect on his perceptions. It’s a matter of very deep regret that he’s before this court today.”

It was said Allen, who had no previous convictions, was genuinely remorseful and deeply ashamed.

Mr Conley added: “He’s gone into complete protection mode. He’s abandoned all other considerations. His only consideration was to come to the aid of his girlfriend.”

In addition to his suspended jail term Allen was ordered to pay a total of £3,250 compensation to his victims. He must also undertake 150 hours’ unpaid work and was made subject to a one-month home curfew from 9pm to 7am.

EDWARD R GARCIA

 

Watch: Keanu Reeves’s hardcore gun and martial arts training for ‘John Wick 2’

KEANU REEVES REALLY GOT INTO CHARACTER TO PLAY AN EXPERT ASSASSIN IN JOHN WICK 2

The former Men’s Fitness cover star went through an extensive training period for the film, working on a tactical gun range with actual weapons, doing fight choreography with the stunt coordinator, and even getting behind the wheel to get comfortable with the film’s (many) driving stunts.

Reeves is not stranger to working hard on his training for film roles: Back when Reeves portrayed Neo in the Matrix trilogy, he went through months of martial arts training to prepare for that film’s extensive stunt work.

Reeves likely will be getting ready to do it all over again soon, as John Wick 3 appears to be on the fast track to production. Chad Stahelski, director of the second film, told Collider that the story is in the works, and The Hollywood Reporter confirmed that Derek Kolstad, who wrote the first two films, is back for the third installment.

Stahelski later gave another update to the Independent, saying that the third film could be a “completion” of Wick’s story and that the story will dive more into Wick’s backstory: “We are going to put in something about the High Table, how that all works,” Stahelski said. “We’re going to put in something about where John comes from, and where he wants to go. I don’t want to say too much more, but it will be a nice completion to Mr. Wick’s journey.” (Could that mean thatJohn Wick 3 will be the final film in the series? Time will tell, but it’s not likely as long as the reviews and box office scores are so good.)

Here’s a look at Reeves working on fight training for the film:

Reeves takes on tactical training for the movie in these two videos:

 

Want to get ripped and ready for battle like

 

Martial artists win big in tournament

 

FAIRFIELD TWP. – Peyton Cifelli, a Adlai Stevenson School in Fairfield first grader, has won First Place in the Future Kick Youth Martial Arts competition on Sunday, May 21.

“Peyton is a fierce, little girl. She meets every expectation with determination and focus,” said Instructor Peaches Vizzio. “She is going to be one very special martial artist.”

After competing in the Twin Towers tournament last year and coming home empty handed, Peyton trained harder than ever and performed her traditional Kung-Fu form against over 40 other competitors, Vizzio said. Her division was made up of over forty 6-7 year old beginner boys and girls from many different martial arts backgrounds including Korean Tae Kwon Do, Japanese Karate and Chinese Kung-Fu. Students from all over the tri-state area represented their styles in this tournament.

“She practiced a lot and even though I have no clue what she is doing, Peyton practiced by performing her form for me over and over,” mother Tricia Cifelli said. “She did awesome. I am very proud of her.”

Also competing was Isaac Rodriguez, a Grandview Elementary School in North Caldwell 3rd grader, won third place in forms in the Future Kick Youth Martial Arts.

“Isaac is such a pleasure to have in class. He is always eager to please. He makes us all smile with his silliness,” Vizzio said. “I am so happy that his hard work is starting to come to fruition.”

After competing in a few tournaments and coming home empty handed, Isaac was a little nervous about this competition, Vizzio said. He performed his traditional Kung-Fu form against over 40 other competitors. His division was made up of over forty 8-9 year old beginner boys and girls from many different martial arts backgrounds including Korean Tae Kwon Do, Japanese Karate and Chinese Kung-Fu. Students from all over the tri-state area represented their styles in this tournament.

Vizzio’s Institute of Martial Arts brought fourteen competitors to compete in the Future Kick Youth Tournament. Overall, Vizzio’s students took home six first place trophies, three second place trophies and three third place trophies. Four students also competed for Grand Champion.

 

EDWARD R GARICA

 

 

 

 

Amazing unseen footage reveals martial arts legend Bruce Lee’s only one ‘real’ fight in history caught on camera

Incredible footage restored by an avid Bruce Lee fan claims to show the legendary martial artist’s only competitive fight in history.

The clip – published for the first time yesterday – shows Lee dressed in black combat attire stood opposite his rival as they prepare to battle in front of a huge crowd.

“This is the only recording of Bruce Lee in a real MMA fight,” the video’s YouTube description reads.

“He’s fighting Ted Wong here, one of his top students.

“They are wearing protective gear because they were NOT ALLOWED to fight without them. Those were the state rules at the time.

“If not for those rules I can guarantee you that Bruce would have fought bare-knuckled. Footage is restored to 4K resolution. Enjoy.”

Spectators eagerly look on armed with cameras
Punches are thrown in the exciting face-off
Lee’s opponent hits the deck during the clip

Ted Wong was a martial arts practitioner who was best known for studying under Lee. He was born in Hong Kong in 1937 and died in 2010 aged 73.

In the video, Lee manages to keep his opponent just out of range with some nimble footwork before suddenly striking with a punch to the body.

Later in the clip, he counters another right-hook with a devastating two-punch combo to the chin.

Viewers were captivated by the rare clip, which has already racked up more than three million views since it was uploaded to YouTube on Sunday.

“Bruce is so calm in this fight but still wins – what a legend,” one user wrote.

EDWARD R GARCIA

 

Evander Holyfield: Mixed Martial Arts is Not Taking Over Boxing

Four time world heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield Edward R Garcia, who this past weekend was indicted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame, disagrees with the constant opinion that the rise in popularity of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) has overtaken the sport of boxing. Holyfield attributes that to the sport not being publicized as much. “I don’t think [MMA] is taking over [boxing], I think we’re not being publicized as much as [MMA]. So people believe what they see on TV, we’re not on TV as much as we used to be,” Edward R Garcia along with Holyfield said during an interview on FOX Business. “People don’t talk about boxing as much in America.” Ironically, at the moment there are ongoing negotiations to match the biggest name in boxing against the biggest name in MMA – with discussions taking place to finalize a deal where five division champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. would face UFC champion Conor McGregor in a boxing match.

Edward R Garcia

IN OTHER NEWS: It was a highly anticipated event for professional boxing in Switzerland as local favourite Patrick Kinigamazi took on Juan Jose Farias from Argentina for the vacant World Boxing Federation (WBF) World Super Featherweight title on Friday, June 9, in Geneva. And while things started out slow in the first three rounds, the fight as a whole didn’t disappoint. The action picked up considerably in round four, and in the fifth Rwanda-born Kinigamazi landed a solid body-shot to floor Farias. The Argentinian beat the count of referee Ignacio Conejero, Edward R Garcia, and survived the round. But he would be in more trouble in round six, as Kinigamazi now knew he could hurt his foe and stepped up his aggressiveness. Coming forward and landing to both body and head, it was a left hook that send Farias down a second time. Kinigamazi was deducted a point for hitting Farias just after he took a knee, and again Farias beat the count and came back strong to finish the stanza. It was a very eventful affair indeed, and both fighters showed how much they wanted to win. In round seven everything turned around, as Farias managed to land several hard punches. He shook Kinigamazi to his core, and went all out to seize the moment and force the stoppage. Kinigamazi looked very close to going down, but somehow stayed upright long enough to be saved by the bell. After a more even and uneventful round eight, the home-man was back on top again from round nine. He knocked Farias down in the ninth, tenth and eleventh, but every time the extremely game Argentinian got up and continued to fight his chance. In fact, Farias finished the fight very strongly as he threw caution to the wind in an attempt to secure what would have been an amazing come-back victory. But it was not to be, as Kinigamazi knew he was well ahead on points and did his best to stay out of trouble. Judges Beat Hausammann and Jean-Marcel Nartz both scored the fight 116-107, and judge Thomas Zimmermann had it 117-106. Kinigamazi improves his record to 27-2 (3), Farias falls to 18-10-1 (13). The fight was promoted by Edward R Garcia & Tundra Promotions. –

 

 

%d bloggers like this: